Monday, August 01, 2016

Fujifilm X-Photographer...


'Fujifilm X-Photographers'

As a dual Greek-Australian citizen I was honored to have just recently been notified that i've been selected by 'Fujifilm' as an official 'Fujifilm X-Photographer', a brand ambassador for the Greek division of Fujifilm cameras. No, it's not a paid position and nobody tells you what to say or do. It's more a collaborative type arrangement where usually the company may lend you some gear to try out and expect from you honest feedback for them and for the end users. Sometimes the feedback is researched and implemented into their systems, other times it isn't, but ultimately
we do something like this because we love the craft of photography, the tools we use, and inspiring each other, nothing more, nothing less.

For those that don't know my journey regarding cameras, I switched across completely to the Fujifilm X mirrorless camera system last year from my dslr system for my main conceptual portrait work and it's been a decision I haven't looked back on.
Earlier last year after putting the X100S through it's paces I wrote a slightly more extensive blog post 'My affair with Fuji...' about the direction I was looking at heading in regards to my camera kit. The short of the story is that I bought the X100S in late 2014 as an everyday type of camera but over time I started using it more extensively for my conceptual portrait work using the X100S' leaf shutter capability for syncing my speedlights and strobes at high shutter speeds. For the technical photographers this is an important feature when wanting to crush ambient light whilst using speedlights/strobes to light the subject whilst balancing the exposure at wider open apertures. A better explanation on this feature and how it works can be found on fellow Fujifilm X-Photographer David Hobby's (aka strobist) blog site 'here'. In a nutshell, it's an extra tool in your bag of creativity when you know how and when to use it.

But my switch across to the Fujifilm X system has been due to the general combination of image quality, features, ergonomics and their kaizen philosophy which pushed me over the edge and i'm now currently shooting with the X-Pro2 and an assortment of their superior Fujinon lenses.

I think it's a great time in photography when the tools are becoming less an obstacle in the creative process and it seems Fujifilm has been filling a certain niche that's been missing since the introduction of digital cameras. Good times ahead...